Want or need.

There’s a significant difference between what we want and what we need in life. In my opinion, many of the problems that people encounter are due to a lack of understanding between wants and needs. A want is a desire, wish or craving, whereas a need is a requirement, necessity or must-have! A new car is an example of what one may want; food is an example of something that one definitely needs!



I guess you could say that our wants are the extras in life and things like food, clothing and shelter are definite needs. As a result, many of the frustrations that people feel are tied to what they want and not what they need. The trouble arises when people feel they cannot live without having their wants met. Perhaps the Rolling Stones had it right when they sang:

You can't always get what you want

But if you try sometimes, well you might find

You get what you need.
 
Lately, I've found that I'm getting just that. Exactly what I need. Things are working out pretty well. We have a place to live, we have the food we need, both of us are working, that in itself is a God sent. My job is morphing into something that will be much better in the long run. D. and I are really getting this whole life together thing down. Now if my children could come around a bit faster life would be excellent. And in just a few weeks I plan on going back to school to become a Life Coach. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. Becoming a life coach sounds great! I think with everything that you have been through/seen, is definitely a bonus and you are very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alicia - you know - most of my work life has been to help organizations help other people. This will offer me the chance to personally help some of those people directly. I'm really excited. This seems to be the year for awakening - I'm glad that my eyes are finally open! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts