The rings that bind us

Several years ago my ex-wife and I decided to get matching Tiffany rings. They were to signify our family bond. As each one of our four children became an adult at the age of 18, they would then receive the same Tiffany ring. When and if they married their spouse would then get a ring to further extend and expand our family. After we separated the ring went to my right hand, continuing to meaning of the ring, to bond us all together, to show solidarity.

 
I’ve since heard that the rings have been place in a state of disregard and a new tradition has been adopted. Apparently they are all wearing a Tiffany lock and key (forgive me if that is the wrong piece of jewelry) to signify their new sense of unity. I still wear the ring on my right hand, firm in my convictions that they will come around and remember that we are all still bound together by something more then just a silver ring.

 
On Valentine’s Day D and I went to a Thai restaurant and my finger passed through another Tiffany ring. D and I exchanged rings as a sign of commitment to each other. Neither one us has really bought into the whole same sex marriage thing yet so this is the next best thing. The ring was designed by Paloma Picasso, it’s and off center square that is frankly – stunning! Just as my first silver ring reminds me of my children and the love I have for them, the new ring brings a continual reminder of D and your love for each other.


Both rings mean a great deal to me and will as long as I wear them. I hope that in the future they will mean as much to others and show them the strength and love that we have together.

Comments

Popular Posts