Father hood

My ex wife's father just past away either yesterday or today, the information given is unclear. Which is besides the point. The man, like all fathers I think, did his best for his family. It's unfortunate that he wasn't happier in his life and that he was, for most of his life, under the control of his wife and after her death, his son. I think, I feel, that he had other ideas of how he would have liked to have lived. He just didn't or couldn't find the strength within him to say, enough.

I'm sorry to my ex wife and my children for their loss. No matter how prepared or ready you think you are, it's never enough. I love you all.

I've always found it interesting this thing called fatherhood. My own father, though I never really agreed with his life choices, did his best to work hard, keep a roof over our heads and food in the cupboards. Granted there are some fathers who soon after birth rarely see their child and don't put much into their support or their life, most of us would give anything to make ALL our children happy. Unfortunately there are times in a fathers life when he isn't able to help them, to give them what they need. I'm not sure if the child ever really understands the hurt, guilt and pain their father feels for not being there. But also as the child grows into adulthood they have to realize that its time that they take some responsibility for their life as well.

I fault us. My generation has not parented well. Some how the next generation of adults feels that they are entitled to a $15 hour job right out of high school, one that they don't really have to work at. That McDonald's is in some way beneath them. They feel that they are entitled to whatever the parent has and will stop at nothing until they get it. Something that also bothers me is that they seem to think that people are disposable. That you can just toss them away if you don't get what they want or don't understand their decision.

Yes my friends, it's our fault. We allowed them to grow up that way.

Be well

Comments

Popular Posts