"Catch and release"

“Catch and release” is a fishing technique in which, after capture, the fish are unhooked and returned to the water before experiencing serious exhaustion or injury. It occurred to me that this same technique could be used to deal with negativity. Let me explain.


It’s often difficult to get personal insults and negative thoughts out of our heads. The key to dealing with these potent mental assaults is found in not allowing them to fester in your mind but to release them. So, instead of allowing these mental bullets to linger and do you harm, I suggest you take a lesson from our fishing friends and tackle this problem in a similar way. When dealing with insults, learn to release them shortly after you catch them. This way, you, too, can avoid experiencing serious exhaustion or injury. And if you find success, you just might get hooked on this new technique!

Granted I don't think that the phrase "Sticks and stone may break my bones but names will never hurt me", is a bag full of tricks, but with this technique it might just take the sting out of it.

Comments

  1. Christopher. I think there is a lesson to be learned here. Great words - thank you for sharing.
    -S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts