I think that we can all win!

When you have an argument with someone, how important is it for you to win? Are you the type of person who listens carefully to the other side, considers their points and then tries to find room for discussion or compromise? Or are you the type of person who simply erects a wall and aims to win at all costs? It’s a telling question regarding the kind of relationships you have with friends, family and significant others.


I read an article the other day that contained the phrase “a pyrrhic victory.” It means a victory with a devastating cost to the victor. Does this sound like you? Is your desire to win so strong that you turn a deaf ear to dissent and operate on a win-at-all-costs kamikaze kind of mantra? For me, whenever I’m in a situation like this, I always ask myself a question taken from an old Graham Nash song, “On The Line”: Is the money I make worth the price that I pay? Sometimes, the price you pay for winning isn’t worth the cost you incur! In some cases, you lose when you win!


Comments

Popular Posts