"Ain't got no........"

This morning on the way to work I over heard this young woman talking on her cell phone. In her best New York moment she asked the person on the other end of the line, “Hey, you up? Where you at?” My question to you is, at what point in this persons education do you think she learned to butcher the English language in such a way. Now I don’t profess to be an expert, in this particular subject, but I do know that the grammar level in these two questions is at an all time low.

Being a citizen of New York City I’m pretty use to people walking by and not being able to understand them because they are speaking another language. It's not uncommon to over hear conversations in French, Spanish, German, Chinese, etc. on any given street throughout the City. David and I often joke that we’re the only ones speaking English as we’re walking down the street. But this? She was obviously born and raised here so she should have gone to school here as well. And no, it’s not just New York, it’s every where. So has our language fallen victim to society just as our way of dress has? Thinking back to when people dressed for dinner or the dates. I read somewhere that Gene Kelly, (who I love by the way) never wore a pair of jeans in his life. how wonderful it would be to bring that time back and clean up all the cut and ripped jeans or the sagging pants with the underwear showing.

I find it interesting just how lazy we as a society have become.

Comments

  1. So true. I am always correcting my Grandchildren on their grammer. The way people dress is , well what can I say. UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts